Monday, February 17, 2020

What films inspire me?

It is now time to brainstorm about what films are inspiring me to choose the drama genre for my opening film. I honestly feel a little bit of pressure coming from me about what I will finally choose to do, I want to feel extremely happy with my work. As I started thinking about what opening scenes from well-known drama movies inspire me, I came up with a few.

Room (2015)
Room is a movie about a mother, Joy, and her five-year-old son, Jack, being held hostage in a one-room shed. She was abducted by a stranger and was kidnapped for over seven years. Even though this movie was extremely inspiring and eventually turns you into an emotional wreck, it begins showing the daily life of Joy and Jack, making the audience want to keep watching to understand how they got there, what they do there, and if they will make it out. 
See the source image

The Help (2011)
The Help is a movie that tells the story of black maids working in white Southern homes in the early 1960s in Jackson, Mississippi. This is another example of how I approach doing my opening film. This film begins with the maid of a white Southern home doing a voiceover/interview while showing clips of the interview and of some flashbacks. 
See the source image

Thirteen (2003)
Thirteen is a film about a thirteen-year-old girl that is having problems with her mother as she comes face-to-face with drugs, alcohol, sex and petty crime with the company of a new best friend who  is trouble. This opening scene is another example of what I could do. The film begins with the two teenage girls high on drugs and things go wrong, then the movie goes back in time and shows the sequence of events to show how they ended up there. This makes the audience wonder and care about how two teens ended up in that situation, therefore they’ll keep on watching to know. 
See the source image

American Beauty (1999)
American Beauty is about how Suburbanite Lester Burnham tells of the last few weeks of his life, after his death sometime in his forty-third year, during which he had no idea of his impending passing. This film’s opening is of a girl ranting about something facing straight towards the camera. This is a way to make the audience question what happened to her and what will happen to her, making them want to keep on watching. 
See the source image

XOXO,
Corina.

No comments:

Post a Comment